Ground of the Chicken Coop, Pine Shavings, Saw Dust or Just Soil?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Habib Ikram, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Habib Ikram

Habib Ikram Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2016
    Instead of Saw Dust or Pine Shavings, can I just put my coop on the soil of the garden? So that the chickens can just poop on the soil and i can just switch the soil.

2. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    It doesn't really matter, but if you have a garden it would be better for just soil so that you can use the manure as fertilizer. :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Even with coops with dirt floors (like mine), it is always better to have some type of organic litter on the floor. Litter works like a baby's diaper and for the same reason. Without litter (bare soil), you can expect a nasty, smelly mess.

The litter used can be a variety of things like wood shavings, pine needles, tree leaves, hay, straw, etc. but there should be some and the deeper you can make it, the better. Start with 6 inches with hopes of building it to about a foot.

That litter, once fully saturated with the droppings then becomes a potent adjunct to your garden areas. Organic matter plus a high dose of nitrogen.

2 people like this.
  4. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I agree, I always sprinkle a little hay over the bare ground in my coop to stick to the poop. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by