Ground squirrels

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lotsapaints, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Other than sitting outside and shooting them..they tunnel in thru the bank and crawl through the wire in very small spaces. My wintertime plan is to install concrete block when the dirt is softer from rain and use hardware cloth but my DH says that they will always get into the run and therefore always be stealing food right now they have no problem with the 2x4 wire I'm always amazed at how small a hole any animal can get thru

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Aw darn... I thought this thread was going to be about feeding ground squirrels to the chickens. Teach the chickens to eat them....[​IMG]

Anyway, if they do not climb, 1/2" hardware cloth around the bottom should keep them out.

ON

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    [​IMG] When does that happen? I thought the only time they didn't climb was when they flew. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I tried telling those Partridge Rocks to kill em and have them for snacks but they just guard their eggs..once I had several squirrels eating eggs we used the 410 on em these are just the little ones they get quite big eating eggs. I did figure using hardware cloth with the blocks would help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by