ground very soggy in my run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by the1honeycomb, May 15, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I have placed my permanent run in a covered, normally dry location, I know that it is rainy season but the run is a big soggy mess now and I don't know how to dry it up. can I put something down that will help?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Tossing down some handfulls of pine shavings will help wick up the moisture.

Some folks will use hay, but BOY does that smell when mixed with chicken poop.

3. madabouthens

madabouthens Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    maybe if u put some stones in it then covere the stones with straw? thats what i do and it works fine.. ! GOOD LUCK ![​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Me, too. So I finally bit the bullet and put sand into our big run. It was a lot of work, but no more mud anymore.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When I had my horses they kept the outside of their doorway a quagmire of mud whatever the season. I finally put "crusher run" hauled from the gravel store on it and covered it in a 4x8 rubber stall mat and it stayed dry for years. It seems to me adding pine shavings would help temporarily, but then start smelling much like my brooder right now with spilled feed plus poo plus spilled water=big smelly mess.

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I prefer sand and I covered the pen to keep it dry. No smell no mess

8. the1honeycomb

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Wow great ideas guys, I know that when I took a bunk of the hay that had started to break down out there were a lot of earth worms and the chickens loved it, I will try the wood shavings and the sand. those are the things I have on hand now! Love the ideas !!![​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    See my "fixing a muddy run" page (link in .sig below) for discussion of options, both short- and long-term.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. the1honeycomb

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    WOW that is a very informative link!! Thanks, now all I need to do is figure out the best way to fix the problem for the coop I built
    Thank you all for the useful advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by