Ground vs whole grain?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cluckn Crazy, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I've read whole grains can be difficult for a bird to digest, even with a grit supply. So, providing
    a diet comprised of a healthy balance of ingredients, but only in whole seed/grain form, is this denying the birds proper nutrition?

Is a whole grain/seed diet okay to feed chickens, or should a mash or ground grains be provided?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. Cluckn Crazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I know sprouting or soaking can be great elements to a homemade feed, but I wasn't sure if whole grains on their own were adaquate. I just don't want to start something I won't be willing to maintain long-term. I'd like to start simple, then complicate it with time as I usually do! [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:There are some who sprout their grains (Organics North for one- he has his recipe on his BYC page)- but I know I won't enjoy that so I don't.

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    My birds prefer whole grains and I start my chicks on whole grains at 2 weeks with their starter and grit. It seems they prefer natural feed though I do buy a ground coarse laying mash for them to have free choice for the vitamin premix in it but it is ground monthly locally and my birds do not care for pellets at all. So far their favorite is sprouted feed and they are laying machines right now nice big eggs and most of my birds start to lay right on time for heritage breeds some as early as 18 weeks most between 20 to 24 even the Marans I have started at 21 weeks. Their feathers look like polished glass and the eggs I put in the incubator just to see how they would hatch were all good and the chicks are lively and regular sized even though they were from pullet eggs only been laying for a month....I am going to try Farmers Helper Ultra Kibble but you mix it with whole grains so it's just to help with my breeding projects that will be starting in December. I have turned into a whole grain fan doing my feeding without any soybean products except for the Turkeys and they will go on the Ultra Kibble to end that soon.

6. Cluckn Crazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
  7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    I have lots of admiration for the whole grain folks...100% whole grains can be a challenge...But many innovators here on BYC make it happen...

I do a mix of whole grains and fresh ground.

Chicks too. (Just smaller grains.)

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by