1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    So I sprinkle a few handfuls of BOSS in my chicken runs as treats for the girls. I just went outside and noticed the ground is green! I use wood chips as flooring, and the BOSS I threw out there is growing like weeds! I am so surprised because I didn't think the sunflower seeds would grow after being processed with the black oil stuff. So if anybody is looking to grow some chicken friendly plants in their run throw some BOSS in and water! I didn't even try to grow these little plants but man they are takin' off!

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I plant huge plots of sunflowers using the oil seed.

They grow really well.

Plus they bring in lots of cool birds!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I always assumed the black oil would ruin the growth ability but they seem to grow better then seeds MEANT to be planted! I am so thrilled and so are the chickens. They looooove the new green groundcover and love digging around to get the best ones. I am surprised the BOSS grows so well with 3 chickens scratching at the ground. [​IMG] Very impressed and a 50 lb bag of BOSS is cheaper then buying sunflower seeds meant to plant. YAY!

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

The "black oil" sunflower seed comes from a TYPE of sunflower, not from a processing additive. It differs from the familiar striped sunflower seed. The Black oil type, although smaller, has a higher percentage of protein.

5. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    That's right. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are colored black, naturally, and are used in making sunflower oil, which can be used for cooking, just like olive oil, corn oil, canola, oil, peanut oil, etc.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh thanks guys! I had no idea [​IMG] learn something new each day huh? Thanks for clearing that up [​IMG] I am impressed with their determination to grow!

7. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I remember some wild bird feed growing from seed that was dropped from the platform feeder that I set up when I was in middle school. There was millet and sunflower that both grew. I was surprised that there was any feed left to grow, what with all the birds that showed up to the feeder (including ravens and crows) as well as the squirrels and chipmunks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by