Groundhogs???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chick15, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Okay, so Yesterday we had a groundhog scurrying around under our deck, and I was wandering if he could do any harm..... if not to the chickens then would it eat eggs??? Im not sure wether to be worried...

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    They dont pose any real threat per'se to chickens. I cant ever recall seeing them eat eggs either...not to say they wouldnt but not a well known egg theif.

Their major downfall is holes.....they dig several and generally can wreak havoc on things if allowed to multiply. Here we shoot them on site...to many cattle and horses to have holes in the field.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Groundhogs are herbivores so no egg or chicken eating, but if you have a garden they might cause trouble there.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree, no threat to your birds but if it gets a taste of the feed, it could be a major issue. Suggest a metal trash can for feed storage

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    The only problem I see with them is they dig. Wow do they dig. This could create a spot for other preditors to get in. Their tunnels are large. Just hope they will find a place away from you coop and run to tunnel. They can be awfully grumpy too. [​IMG] Gloria Jean

6. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    We have 2 under our shed and they came and clipped my cucumber plants all the way down! No threat to birds or eggs though.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They will also ruin the foundations to your buildings.

8. edgroger

edgroger Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    hmm probably ruin some of your ground protection within the coop's area

9. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    groundhogs are vegans!! So your chickies and eggs will be safe from them! now the damage they can do to a garden or even around the skirting of your run is another story.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by