Grounds In brooder

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
I use sand in my big brooder and straw/shavings in my overflow brooders but was looking on tsc website this morning and saw this, has pretty good reviews was wondering if it clumps up like sand for easy cleaning or any pros or cons.
Screenshot_20210330-053451_Chrome.jpg

Unless they've managed to completely remove all of the volatile oils from it. coffee grounds are extremely poisonous to chicks. I wouldn't bring that stuff anywhere near baby chicks.
Yeah its a conspiracy to kill everybody's chicks, put a chicken picture on a big bag of poison and sell it. Anybody with real world experience.

I used 50% grounds and 50% hemp in my brooder and my three chicks had zero problems. When I was researching, I read about problems with literally every bedding type...still not sure what the perfect solution is! At least the coffee makes the room smell good!

Yeah its a conspiracy to kill everybody's chicks, put a chicken picture on a big bag of poison and sell it. Anybody with real world experience.
It seems ridiculous when you put it that way, but there are similar products in the hamster world that are irresponsibly marketed. Hamsters need a certain amount of room, and a certain size of exercise wheel to be healthy and get proper exercise, a certain bedding depth to be able to burrow. But its almost impossible to find a "hamster" cage that it even close to appropriate depth and area size for them, and even the large hamster wheels are barely the right size for the dwarfs. Many of the wheels have inappropriate footing that can injure them. The thing is... There aren't enough people that care or can tell if the hamster is actually living its best life. If the hamster dies in 2 years when it could have lived to 4, they say that its in normal life span range, and you can go buy another hamster for less than 20 bucks to replace it. Fish, rodents, and birds are all subject to a lot of marketing misinformation because there is really not enough information readily available for consumers, and not everyone does thorough research before jumping into new animal ownership. That said, I don't know if this would actually be harmful for chickens without further research. Perhaps adults would be fine with it, but I don't know if I would trust it to be fine for brand new babies. That is just my own reservations about it. I am actually considering buying some for my big coop now though after reading about it. I will do more research on it first. C:

It seems ridiculous when you put it that way, but there are similar products in the hamster world that are irresponsibly marketed. Hamsters need a certain amount of room, and a certain size of exercise wheel to be healthy and get proper exercise, a certain bedding depth to be able to burrow. But its almost impossible to find a "hamster" cage that it even close to appropriate depth and area size for them, and even the large hamster wheels are barely the right size for the dwarfs. Many of the wheels have inappropriate footing that can injure them. The thing is... There aren't enough people that care or can tell if the hamster is actually living its best life. If the hamster dies in 2 years when it could have lived to 4, they say that its in normal life span range, and you can go buy another hamster for less than 20 bucks to replace it. Fish, rodents, and birds are all subject to a lot of marketing misinformation because there is really not enough information readily available for consumers, and not everyone does thorough research before jumping into new animal ownership. That said, I don't know if this would actually be harmful for chickens without further research. Perhaps adults would be fine with it, but I don't know if I would trust it to be fine for brand new babies. That is just my own reservations about it. I am actually considering buying some for my big coop now though after reading about it. I will do more research on it first. C:
Theres a whole thread on here about it. To expensive for my blood ill stick with sand and straw.

Back
Top Bottom