group mothering

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2manycrittrz, Apr 3, 2011.

1. 2manycrittrz

2manycrittrz New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    South Central PA
    I had too many fertile eggs for the incubator at school so I stuck 5 under my bantam mille fleur who was stubbornly broody at the time. Two or 3 days later she was walking around outside without a care in the world and I assumed the eggs were done for. Nope. When I checked, the bantam silkie was sitting on them. I candelled them and breathed a sigh of relief when they seemed fine. It gets weirder. A few days later the big maran (#2 in the flock) was sitting on them, with both bantams beside her. The chicks are due on Tuesday. I know it's said that the mom and eggs/chicks should be isolated from the flock - if you can call mine a flock. I have a mixture of 2 Polish, a Wyandotte, a Delaware, and an Americuana and the 3 "moms". They're just pets. I have no rooster (he gave my neighbor nightmares - another story). Should I still try and isolate the "communal nursery" or just put in a feeder and waterer for the chicks and hope for the best?

2. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless I separate them, my banties always seem to team up. I've never had a problem with the hens in that coop, but they all tend to go broody a lot and are all good moms. I had some problems in my big coop, but I think it was the rooster. I had two hatch loose in the coop, after he was gone, and didn't have any problems.

The time that seemed to be the biggest concern was right at hatch time. Once they were up and moving around the hen didn't have any problems protecting them. When she was in the middle of the hatch she wouldn't get up to protect.

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Group nesting is common sometimes. Depending on the tempers of the hens, it is a great thing. I think maybe it takes a village sometimes with chickens too. Since your flock is so small, I think it would be good to leave them to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by