1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

grow out cage idea

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mixedflockmomma, Nov 1, 2013.

1. mixedflockmomma

mixedflockmomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    I am in need of a new grow out cage and I don't want to spend money on one. So, Im trying to use items I have on hand. I was thinking of using 2" hex wire for the walls, door and top, hardware cloth for the bottom and 2x4's for the frame. I don't have enough hardware cloth to do the entire cage. The cage will be located inside my existing preditor-proof hen house. I'm just not sure if the 2" hex wire will keep the 4wk old standard chicks in or if they will be able to get out.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Depends what breeds, some of the smaller standards can def get through 2" hex at a month old Maybe check and see if some your smaller ones still can fit? Could you double up the wire, or maybe use something like deer netting on it, or use a short strip of hardware cloth from the ground to a foot or so up?

3. mixedflockmomma

mixedflockmomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    I have just enough hardware cloth for the bottom and don't have enough hex wire to double it, but I have tons of deer netting. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by