Grow out pen for poults

Edgars Mom

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
Hello there... We are in the process of setting up for turkeys. We are in Canada and temps in the spring can go well below freezing at night so too cold for poults. They will be going into tractors or pens (haven't decided which yet) when they are old enough. We were thinking that they will probably be indoors for the first 6 weeks? Anyway, we were thinking of building brooders/grow out pens in our unfinished basement. Will 8'x8' be sufficient for 9 heritage poults for the first 6 weeks? I realize more space is better but we only have room for 2 of these. My barn is small and I don't have space for them out there so I have to keep them inside until they are old enough to go outside. Right now we have 9 in our 8x4.5' brooder and they are 3.5 weeks and seem to have enough space but they are quickly outgrowing this and we have to make something bigger for them soon.

I believe that space should be fine for those numbers. Turkey poults poop a lot, so hopefully you are prepared for the smell, or at least the increased cleaning necessary as the mature.

I believe that space should be fine for those numbers. Turkey poults poop a lot, so hopefully you are prepared for the smell, or at least the increased cleaning necessary as the mature.

Yes, the smell will have to be controlled... Right now what I do is go in every day with one of those shovel/rake things for picking up dog poop and scrape any soiled shavings off the surface and add clean bedding as necessary... It's more work but seems to be effective. Hopefully it's enough when I have 18 of them in the house!

Back
Top Bottom