Grow out pen or little chickie playpen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by andalusn, Jun 26, 2011.

1. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Being the loving DW I am, I gave DH a Dewalt Compound Miter saw for Fathers Day [​IMG] This weekend he tested it out building this frame and I then attached the webbing while he took a nap. Its intended use is for the chicks in the brooder to have outside time in the grass. It is very light weight and easy to move. There is about a 2 inch under hang of mesh that rolls under the frame to discourage digging from the inside. I still need to attach a hook on the main beam to hang the feeder from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice playpen but I wish I could sit back and watch you get a bunch of chicks out of there without a door for you to crawl inside [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Nice! It is supervised time out right?

4. andalusn

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    it was designed with the purpose to be a place to put chicks when I am cleaning the brooder or its just too nice to be inside and they would enjoy the grass to explore. A place to spend a sunny afternoon. It does have a door on the one end so I can get them in and out.

5. andalusn

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    [​IMG]

Added a roost to give them more options while enjoying their time in the yard. These are a rooster/pullet, Serama pair that really enjoy spending their day outside and scratching in the grass and dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by