1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

grow out pen size

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jopheso, Jun 9, 2016.

1. jopheso

jopheso Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    I'm looking at building a 9x15 hoop house out of cattle panels. Would this be sufficient space for 18 turkeys from 3 weeks old to 8 weeks or so? I just want to use it long enough for the turkeys to get too big for hawks and then they will free range and use the hoop house as a roost (hopefully).

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I think so.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    It should work but sounds a bit cramped towards the end. However, it will be really small for all of them to roost in when they are full grown, I suspect.

4. jopheso

Feb 13, 2015
    That's a good point. I said roost, but what I mean was nest boxes in the hoop house. I will likely build a mobile roost bleacher style. Or they may roost in the trees. I have about 20 good trees in the 2.5 acres of ranging area.

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    What breed are they? Are they for meat?

6. jopheso

Feb 13, 2015
    9 Narrangaset and 9 midget whites. Well the females will be kept around for egg production and the males will be culled with the exception of prolly 2 per breed that I like the best. The rest will go into the freezer....so I guess the answer is dual purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by