Grow out pen-this too small?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tracyree, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    So I bought this based on the 53" long measurement not thinking that would include the handles [​IMG]. So it's a hare smaller than I anticipated and I'm kind of regretting the purchase. It's the Ware Backyard Hutch. I was planning on using it for my 3 chicks as a grow out pen until they can mix with my 12 week old pullets.

I chose this as I was going to put the entire thing in our "predator proof" run and like that they have somewhere to go in to sleep without me rounding them up and bringing them indoors.

Would you keep 3 chicks in it until they are large enough to mix with the flock or is it just way too small? I can return it.
    The pen part is 30x20. I paid about 60 bucks with coupons and free shipping.

[​IMG]

Oops, meant to put this in the coops section.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Wow I love that! You wouldnt happen to be in PA would you? I would totally buy it from you [​IMG] I Have a little rooster that wont be able to stay with the girls much longer so that would be perfect [​IMG] Where did you get this?

3. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    I ordered it from petsmart. Googled coupon codes and it ended up being about $60. It smells very strongly of the stain they use on it, but I scrubbed it and it's airing out well

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    awesome thanks for the great tips!!!!! I love that little thing [​IMG]

5. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    It looks bigger in the picture. Maybe I should take a picture with a soda can...

6. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Ooh boy that's pretty dang small. I like to give each of mine at least a square foot of space until 6 weeks of age and then start bumping it up as they grow. I always say the more space the better! If I were you I would just pen off an area of the run using poultry netting and stick a dog house for them to sleep in. Do you have pics of your run?

7. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    It is small. [​IMG]. I knew it would be, but it's about 10 inches shorter than I thought it would be.

Here's a link to some pictures of my run. If I had a dog house, that would have been the way to go. Although, my pullets can hop a 4' fence, not sure how I'd keep them outnof a sectioned off area.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=554316

Quote:

8. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    You can build a very simple structure using 2x2s, plastic poultry netting, and a staple gun. Just build a frame and staple the netting to it. You can make a section loose so you can open it and get to them. Or you can put some 4 foot chicken wire across and clip everyones wings. Or you can build a frame with the netting to form a baby gate and dangle more netting from the roof if the run so they can't fly over but you can get through. Sorry my descriptions aren't that great, I'm typing from a phone. Once. I get to a computer I can draw a schematic for ya [​IMG]

9. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:please do. i'm interested. [​IMG]

10. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Do you have two entrances into your run? It looks like it from the pics and if so you can easily create a temporary wall of netting with just a staple gun and zip ties. Find a cheap dog house on craigslist or exchange your pen for one at petsmart, throw a tarp on top of their section of the run and secure with bricks or 2x4s or whatever for some cover and bam you've got a long term temporary enenclosure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by