Grow out pen???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greytmommy, Apr 20, 2011.

1. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Ok, chicks are getting to big for the brood box (well...most of them...the silkies are still fine in there as well as the younger Cuckoo Marans).

they are flying out of it constantly. I cant have chickens running around my house! They are in a big cardboard box right now. I had a super nice brood box w/ a lid, and it is great...but then our 6 chicks turned into 12 (amazing how that happens!) and it got too small FAST!!!

our coop isnt done yet, but we hope to have it done in the next 2 wks. they are currently 4wks old. Suggestions? I could maybe see if I can borrow a big dog kennel.......we only have a small one b/c we have a small terrier mix....

2. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Watching!!!

Our chicks are 1 week and growing like weeds, so they are going to be out of their 50 gallon tote brooder box soon.

3. pcosmom

pcosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    We ended up building an outside brooder with OSB plywood so it was 8ft X 4ft X4ft high. We used some 2X4 on top to lay plywood so it would be angled and cut out a door in the middle for us to get into it.

I put a doghouse in their for them be able to go inside they love it, and I shine a light in the dog house for the cooler nights and have a 2nd one in one of the corners.

They really love it and have so much more room

4. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I can imagine I am going to have the same issue..our brooder box will be going into the laundry room right off the dining room where I am sitting now..if they start to fly out..I am going to let them and just keep the door closed from the rest of the house..then..if that drives the cats insane too much..we do have a huge oversized 3 car rv garage I will move them too...quandary..I know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by