1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grow Out Pens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by enggass, Jan 10, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I see people talking about grow out pens. I assume this is the space used after the brooder, but before the coop.
    How much space should I alot to 'teen' birds - maybe 8 weeks to 24 weeks of age?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    3-5 sq feet per bird for dual-purpose sized, 3 sq ft or so for smaller such as Leghorns, two for bantams. That's what I use.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'd love to see photos of them, too....I am in the process of designing a specific area as one....

4. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    A.T. Hagan :

3-5 sq feet per bird for dual-purpose sized, 3 sq ft or so for smaller such as Leghorns, two for bantams. That's what I use.

These will be LF dual-purpose. I will have them inside of a sizeable run area abutting the run of my current flock so they get used to seeing each other. I guess my question only pertains to interior space.
    It will be Spring so they will probably be using the run quite a bit. I know the 'standard' is 4sqft/bird inside, but can I go smaller than that at this age?
    This would be for just a few weeks while I get there new coop ready.​

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I build a large area in my garage using old storm windows. maybe 5 ft by 5 ft. When this gets too small I add another window. Once they are about 3-4 months old they go out with the rest in the big girl coop.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sometimes my grow-out coops become permanent lodgings, but without the temporary fencing around 'em. The kids want to keep returning to "their" coop at night. After a while, there is some "coop hopping" and I'll find a different mix of young chickens staying in this or that coop. Also, the two adult hens I've rescued have each left the segregation/integration "jail" coop to move in with others.

Interesting to see who bunks with whom.

If you're not a handy type of person, or don't have the time (but you do have the money), some of those coop kits on eBay serve very well as grow-out coops. They often have attached run/pen sections, so you can forgo the temporary fencing materials.

7. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I build a large area in my garage using old storm windows. maybe 5 ft by 5 ft. When this gets too small I add another window. Once they are about 3-4 months old they go out with the rest in the big girl coop.

Well, what I've got currently is a 3'x4' plywood brooder that is 2' deep. I have added a pop door and window to it already.
    My plan is to move it outside and put a nice roof on it when the birds feather out - around 6 to 8 weeks.
    This will be housed inside of a large fenced in area next to the run of my current flock. It will be primarily their sleeping space.
    How many young birds do you think could accomodate this setup at the 2-4 month old range?​

8. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:To me, tweeners are the 4-8 week old chicks! I know some breeds mature slower, but by then they are usually ready for the big house!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  9. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Well maybe not tweeners, but certainly not full grown or fully matured.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I brood mine until 8 wks, sometimes a bit more, and then they grow out until at least 12 weeks in their separate quarters.
    But I don't have just ONE grow out coop facility and one main coop. My back yard is the Olmstead Homestead Chicken Compound.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This sign is attached to the front wall of the house in which I live.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by