Grow out pens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Black Cochin Bantams, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I wondered if it is better to keep age groups togather or to separate pullets and cockerels into separate pens. Curious what others do. I had some pecking issues last week. Honestly thinking of peepers on the cockerels to prevent future pecking.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We don't currently have a pen for our grow outs, although we always have had before. I'm still rebuilding from the tornados in the spring here, so once our chicks leave the brooder I just turn them loose to free range. I started hatching in January and have my last hatch until fall in the incubator right now due to hatch Friday. So have chicks from 5 weeks old up to 6 months old running together. They all run together and I haven't had any serious problems with pecking or bullying here.
    When we had our grow out pen, size and stocking density was key. As long as they were not crouded everything went fine, once we would get too many in the same pen is when the problems would start.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    This is my first time doing this so I also am interested in what others are doing. I am using a 12 x 12 horse stall as a grow out coop.
    I have 5 (5 week olds) 2 (3 week olds) and 22 ( 2 week olds) together in there. I gave the little guys some hiding places from the big ones.
    I also put some limbs and branches in there for them to get up on. I have multiple feed and water stations, so no one is left out. So far so good.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    For small numbers of meat birds I put them all together but larger operations separate and feed differently. I usually only have 25-50 at a time and too busy to build extra facilities.

For heritage DP and egg breeds I also keep them together and start sending crowers to freezer camp.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, we grow out post-brooder chicks in their own pen in the barn. We don't bother with integration until the new flock is at POL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by