Grow up little chick!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hampshire Hens, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Hampshire Hens

Hampshire Hens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    I have a question about my little baby chicken. She is not nearly as big as my other chicks and they are the same age as her. I have been giving them terramicin to see if it would help. Anybody know what might be wrong with her?[​IMG]I will post a picture of her when I learn how

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I had a runt when my chicks were small; one of my dark brahma pullets. Now I can't tell her from any of my other dark ones. My dark cockerel was a little on the smallish side too and boy did he make up for it! I wouldn't continue with the terramycin, but that's just me. It is possible to overmedicate.
    To post pics, go to www.photobucket.com and sign yourself up for a (free) account. Follow the instructions on that site for uploading pics from your computer to your photobucket album. After the pics upload you will be re-directed back to your album and you will see a list of codes under each pic. Right click on the IMG code and paste it into your thread here. When you preview your post your pics should show up.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    terramycin can upset their stomachs and cause poor or incomplete digestion as it upssets the natural balance of flora in the gut. If the chick's flora in the gut is disrupted, it will not absorb nutrients as well, which will EXACERBATE a growth problem, not help it.

I'd definately discontinue the terramycin. It's an antibiotic. Just being small in and of itself does not indicate any bacterial infection, generally speaking.

What I'd do is one of two options:

IF the chick is being picked on, then you may want to separate it or maybe put in a separtate group with just one other calm/less dominate chick.

If it's not picked on, then I'd just take the chick out 3-4 times per day and offer a separate meal of a mash made up of chick starter and warm (not cool, not too hot) water.

Being small can be a vicious cycle. Smaller chicks can't compete at the feeder as well as the larger and stonger ones. That restricts access to the feed, which in turn can contribute to failing to thrive/smaller chick, which just makes it harder for that chick to compete over time.

Personally, I don't use extra vitamins or electrolytes in the water, but others do recommend that as well - I'll leave it to someone more experienced and familiar with those products to make a specific recommendation on that.

Other information that might help are:

what breed are these chicks?
    How old?
    Are there any other symptoms other than just being small and not growing well? IE, any nasal or eye discharge, sneezing, lethargy or low energy/movement, any physical deformity like twisted or curled toes, etc...

4. Hampshire Hens

Hampshire Hens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    thanks arlee. I stopped using the medicine . One of the larger hens is sleeping by her and wraps her neck around her.Arlee wrote
    what breed are these chicks?
    How old?
    Are there any other symptoms other than just being small and not growing well? IE, any nasal or eye discharge, sneezing, lethargy or low energy/movement, any physical deformity like twisted or curled toes, etc...

They are New Hampshires.
    7 1/2 weeks old
    Also Hope(her name) is not growing a tail. The rest have big tails and are ready to go into the coop but I don't know if I should take her outside with them?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by