Grower feed or go to layer a little early?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sawyerashton, Feb 15, 2013.

1. sawyerashton

sawyerashton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    I have 4 Barred Rock pullets. They are currently 10.5 weeks old. I won't run out of starter feed for another couple of weeks.

My question is, can I just switch them to layer feed at 13+ weeks or do I have to feed them grower feed?

If I get a bag of grower feed, that should last me Through June. Will this inhibit egg laying? I anticipate them to start laying towards the beginning of May.

A little confused and don't want to waste money of unused feed.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would not personally advise feeding them layer feed this early. It does not have the proper nutrition for them at this stage.

3. sawyerashton

sawyerashton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    I'll just go with the grower pellets and then supplement the calcium when they start laying until I run out of grower feed.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup, that's the thing. Hens don't HAVE to have Layer. Layer is just convenient, as the calcium is ground right in, but is certainly not necessary. Many, many people never feed Layer. They prefer a Game Bird mix or a Flock Raiser type product and simply offer the calcium supplement on the side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by