Grower for non-laying layers?

annmarie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Friday is the big day I've been waiting for for months, when I can finally integrate my older flock of 3 hens, with the younger flock of 3. For the past 2 weeks I've been slowly weaning the young ones off grower feed and onto layer pellets. By Friday they should be ready for straight layer pellets, but here's my problem. I have about 1/3 or 1/4 of a bag of grower feed left, it's the same amount of protein as the layer pellets I feed. I HATE to waste stuff, and since my 3 older hens have pretty much stopped laying for the winter (one of them has been laying every few days), would it be okay to keep mixing a little of the grower feed in with the layer pellets when all 6 girls are together, just until I finish off the bag? I do give them oyster shells as well so I'm hoping that could make up for any lack of calcium.

Thank you! Grower feed is sort of an in between feed that you feed after chick starter, but before they're ready to start laying. Seems like in certain parts of the country it's widely available and other parts it's just a mystery! There's also a grower feed for meat chickens but this is different.

Back
Top Bottom