growers in nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by glennbyc, Aug 13, 2013.

1. glennbyc

glennbyc New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    manchester, uk
    I have just got 3 hybrid growers 10 weeks old and they huddle in the nest boxes when in the coop. should i be stopping them doing this.if so. how

2. leetfreq925

leetfreq925 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    Yes, they should not be allowed access to the laying boxes until they get near laying time. Otherwise they learn to sleep in there vs. roosting, which can cause disease. can you block off the boxes with wood? lean something up against them? do they have a place to roost at night? Is it too high that they can't get up?

3. glennbyc

glennbyc New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    manchester, uk
    They have perch to go on

4. leetfreq925

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    have you ever seen them on it? maybe try placing some of them on it so they know what to do. and definitely block off the laying boxes for now.

5. glennbyc

glennbyc New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    manchester, uk
    The perch is lower than the boxes ami right in thinking it needs to be higher

6. leetfreq925

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    how high are the boxes? try blocking them off first. since they are only 10 wks old, they won't want to go up super high. when they get older and they are ready to use the boxes, unblock the boxes and offer some more alternatives to perches that are up a little higher. they will grow into them.

7. glennbyc

glennbyc New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    manchester, uk
    the boxes are only a couple of inches ofthe bottom

8. leetfreq925

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    and the perch is lower than that? perch right now should be about 5-6" up, when they get older, it should be over a foot. the laying boxes are fine that low, but definitely raise the perch if it's that low. still make sure to block off the boxes.

9. glennbyc

glennbyc New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    manchester, uk
    Blocked them off but they got very noisy and restless seemed very stressed.

10. leetfreq925

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    Have they quieted down yet? Give them some time. They will get used to it. Maybe put one up on the perch to show them what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by