Growing 5 toes and feathers on the legs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lablover, Apr 11, 2012.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    I have 6 chicks that I have no idea what breed they are except Easter Eggers. 1 definitely has 5 toes and feathered legs and its much bigger than the rest. 2 are the smallest of the bunch and also have little feathers growing on their legs. However, 1 has 4 toes and the other has 5 toes on one foot while the other foot has 4 toes with a little nail growing out of the fourth toe. Should I be worried about that foot??? Can anyone help? I've already posted pics on here somewhere, and I would just love to know what my chicks are.

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I would love to see pics...does not sound like your average EEs to me....

3. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I would love to see pics too.

Silkies have five toes and feathered feet. I have some silkie mixes and they have five toes and feathered feet as well.

4. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
  5. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    I believe that Marans have 5 toes and feathered legs...and so do faverolles.

Check out some Marans peeps and see what you think. Just a guess but I have a NN/cuckoo marans mix with 5 toes and feathered legs :)

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Marans do not (or at least should not) have 5 toes. Marans bred to the French standard have feathered legs; those bred to the English standard do not.

There are 5 five-toed breed: dorkings, faverolles, houdans, silkies and sultans. Faverolles, silkies and sultans have feathered legs; dorkings and houdans do not. Of course the other option is that you have mixed breeds.

7. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Thank you. I was misinformed...that's the great thing about this site! I am always learning or relearning something :) Now to figure out where my rooster got his 5 toes! He has none of the characteristics of any of the breads listed :(

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Looks like a Faverolle. My salmon Faverolle has similar feathering, but a tiny lighter on top with the 5 toes.

I heard they are excellent layers!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks, everyone! They probably are mixed breed as they are from a farm.

Here's a updated pic of the chick with 5 toes and feathered legs. I do have 2 more chicks with feathers starting on their legs, but only one has 5 toes[​IMG].[​IMG]
    In this pic, the gray chick has 5 toes and feathers, while the little brown one only has feathers growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by