1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Growing A Toe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goddesses, Nov 25, 2009.

1. goddesses

goddesses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    I have a wyandott hen that looks and acts perfectly fine except she has what looks like a 4th toe emerging! She is 18 months old and her foot has a small lump with a pink bulge. The pink portion looks like good skin as opposed to a nasty infection. I cant get close enough to get a picture, sorry.

Mother Goddess
    2 dogs, a cat, 6 wyandotts and 3 amaurcanas

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Use the search button above and type in "bumble foot"

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Or possibly a spur bud. Where is the "lump"? And most chickens are supposed to have 4 toes, does she not? (There are no three-toed chickens that I have ever heard of, except when toes are lost due to injury)

4. goddesses

Jul 3, 2008
    4 toes, right! It does look like a bud, but it is at the front/top of the foot between two toes. Now what? Happy Thanksgiving.

Mother GOddess

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    In that case, I agree that it could be an odd presentation of bumblefoot.

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Of course, pictures would help a lot!

7. goddesses

Jul 3, 2008
    I did read about bumblefoot - Does a chicken die from the condition or is does she become incapacitated and vulnerable to predators.

Hope everyone had a great Turkey Day!

8. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Bumblefoot is actually staph infection. Like any infection, it can spread, become septic, cause other problems. It is not difficult to treat. The 'bumble' bump will have a 'cap' or top to it that must be soaked in epsom salt, removed, cleaned and then watched for healing or further problems. (Unlike people, chickens and ducks do not like to have their feet soaked in warm water.)

9. goddesses

Jul 3, 2008
    I will try to get a photo this weekend.

I read the links you suggested and one said that 1cc of penicillin, in the thigh, daily will do the trick - no surgery. I am not one to cut into anything, so If it is bumblefoot, that would be my first course of action.

Thanks

10. Atlchick

Atlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    Just wondering ... why the injection in the thigh? My vet recommends all injections next to breastbone; alternating sides - alternating days. Would this be specific for bumblefoot?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by