Growing apple tree's

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bee_wrangler, Nov 25, 2009.

1. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I am looking to grow about 30 or 40 apple tree's from seed. I have grown them from seed before but they did not turn out as good as I hoped. I have since found out that due to most apple tree's are now grafted the tree from seeds will not taiste like the apple they came from. I am wondering if anyone knows a type of apple that has good seeds for planting. I know I could buy the saplings but for that many tree's it would cost too much, or at least more than I can afford lol.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Buy one bigger tree an the root stock an make your own grafts. A seed tree will take 7 to 10 years to see what the apples will be like. If you graft you can make trees that have apples in 4 years an know what you will get from the start. I have one of each, gold D, Red D an a granny smith. I plan to buy root stock later. I have $60 in the trees an expect about $.60 each for the root stock.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Grafts are best, you can even graft more than one type of apple on one tree, not that hard.

Now the bad news about seeds.

The apple you have is from the mother tree, trouble you will not know what type the male tree fertilize the seed, could even have been a crab apple. So if the bees flew from a crab apple tree to your apple tree the seeds are worthless, or could be a cross of other type. Only way to be sure of type of apple is to graft from a known tree. The fruit is alway true to the tree, but not the seeds!!!!

My father was an expert when it came to trees. Most tree produce blooms of both male and female blooms. Some trees are either male or female, like hollys then you need both to get the berrys. Apple have both, but just think, if the bees go from one type to another you have a cross seeds.

Easy to graft in the spring, before the buds open.

4. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    if you are getting that many , i would look in too if you need to spry them for apple magit ect. My mom works for NSFGA, check there website out. http://www.nsapples.com/intrnsfg.htm. works with apples and apple farmers every day [​IMG]

5. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Thanks for the replies, glad I posted this. I am going to go with the grafted tree's and plant a few seeds for the deer to eat. Sounds like grafting could turn out to be another fun hobby too! I will have to start saving up for the spring haha.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You won't get true fruits and often you won't get fruit at all from a seed.

Most apple trees have to be polinated by another type of apple in the same family to actually set fruit.

Va. Stayman winesap won't produce unless there are 2 other different apples to pollinate it as it is sterile.

Pick the variety you like, research their pollination needs and purchase at least 3 trees to plant together.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Its time to plant now while there dormant. Also most bugs that harm apples nest in the ground under the tree so letting chickens around the trees helps with bug control.

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    also once you plant them place some white platics stuff around the base. don't know what itis called tho

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Oh your seedling are great to graft on, get your cuttings from the type of apple tree you want. Just remember dont let any growth below the graft.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  10. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I graft 5 type of apples on one tree... Lot of fun but apple to apple. Now you can graft plums,peaches on one tree. Different type of pears on one tree also.

Have also done flowering trees with different colors on one plant. Like the rose

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by