Growing black oil sunflower from feed seed

I have, so have all the wild birds I feed. They seem to have about the same germination rate as those sold as seeds. Always lots of bird planted volunteer sunflowers around here each year.

Not on purpose, but the blue jays hide seeds all over and forget about them. My flower beds are filled with sunflowers that the birds have planted. :barnie I can't see any reason they would not do well. They are the smaller type sunflowers.

Yep. If you are not particular, and just want to grow more sunflowers for a fall treat for the birds, simply sow some seeds from a bag of bird seed.

My local Blue Seal sells bulk seed, and often has a nice mix of sunflower seeds in the bin. I believe this is the blend they use:

http://www.edenbrothers.com/store/s...JopDUjBBHIkTuYg2iK78HT6HSEMnXgoQaAtqsEALw_wcB

I bought some one year, and have never had to plant them again. Simply transplant the volunteers that come up in my garden.

I haven't meant to grow it... But I got a bag at the beginning of the year. (They were meant to feed my non-domesticated birds). When the gold finches scratched around by the seed, a few months later I got these tall sunflowers. (About four feet. :p)

All I'll say is that it is possible I agree with the experts above's information. :)

Good luck!

A friend if mine did and said it worked fine. I did not see the results as it was on a hunting property not near me. I also just priced 50 lb bag of sunflower seed from my local Growmark and it was $18 a bag.

Sunflower seeds are expensive. You would have to grow a lot of sunflowers to even fill up a 50# bag, so I will keep buying them. The blue jays around here clean the sunflowers out pretty early in the drying season too.

Yeah, accidentally. I bought a huge bag and the garage flooded when I had 1/4 bag left. Molded. I dumped the bag in one of the back corners of our lot, and they started growing. The birds must have scattered it, because they covered a really big area. Had to mow most of them down.

Back
Top Bottom