growing chicken feed

lirette

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2015
Oklahoma
I have been trying to do my homework on growing my own chicken feed. I have read post here on BYC as well as the web. I don't know if I am over thinking it or just not getting it. I have about 50 chickens or more so my feed bill for them is pretty expensive especially cuz I also raise Nubians which adds to the bill. But they get to free range to help, But the chickens are cooped 24/7 as to keep my breeds separate. At this time I feed 20% lay crumbles and throw scratch as an extra. I have 65 acres and already do an extremely large garden so I have the room to expand as large of an area as needed to grow what they would need. I have read all the suggestions on things to grow, but what about how it is harvested and stored? Is this something you would be able to feed in the same manner as throwing the crumbles? Would I have to dry the feed, mill it then store it as we have to do house vegetables? Thank you in advance for any help.

Raising mealworms is very easy, although with 50 chickens that would take quite a few, but still doable, and a good source of protein. Another couple of things to consider are the black oil sunflowers and duckweed.

Back
Top Bottom