Growing chicken food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Foghorn, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am planning my garden for spring and thought maybe there was something I could plant for my chickens I am getting.
    Does anyone grow food just for thier chickens?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I always fed them extras out of the garden, we have a big garden so I don't plant anything special for them but they still get plenty. If you wanted to plant a few extra plants specifically for them, I'd suggest mushmelon (cantaloupe) watermelon, tomatoes and squash. They LOVE the insides of the melons and squash and pick it totally clean. They also enjoy tomatoes, but not as the melons and squash.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/

Foghorn, Sandhill sells a couple seed mixes for chicken pastures:

Tasty Chicken Treats

Brooder Yard Greens - Spring Pack: A mixture of Essex Rape, Millet, and Mustard. 8 oz. $3.50 (postpaid); 1 lb. $6.50 (postpaid); 3 lbs. $16.50 (postpaid)

Instructions: Sow in brooder runs when you get chicks, 4-6 weeks later the young birds have a forest of greens to pick. I till up the soil and then broadcast the seed, rake in lightly, water and wait.

Brooder Yard Greens - Fall Pack A mixture of Essex Rape, Millet, Mustard, Turnips, and Winter Radishes. 8 oz. $4.00 (postpaid); 1 lb. $7.25 (postpaid); 3 lbs. $18.00 (postpaid)

Plant this in the poultry yards about late July or early August. Turn the birds in 6 weeks later.

chel​

4. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hey Eric,
    My chickens love Cabbage, lettuce, peas, bean, cantalope, tomatoes, pumpkin and squash. They go crazy for grapes, which I don't grow. They don't like carrots or broccoli though. You're chicks are coming in like, 5 days! Are you so excited? [​IMG] Jen

5. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi Jen!
    I am very excited and NERVOUS! I want everything to go well. I have been turning on the brooder lamp and fine tuning. I am all set and ready. My only real glitch could be the holiday. I hope that it doesn't cause a delay that could jeopardize the chicks well-being. My fingers are crossed. I will, of course, post pics and keep an up-to-date account of my "adventure"!
    -Eric

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our chickens love our garden vegetables, squash leaves, green leafy vegetable leaves and tomatoes. They especially enjoy hanging out in the garden when I’m turning the soil, fighting over the worms. Also I am replanting my grass since they love to graze. They also love to eat any figs that fall to the ground which is helpful I don't need to clean them up, they also love our blackberries and rasberries.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  7. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I just bought some bantam chicks and have been building them a 10 x 20 yard. I plan to free range them a good bit if I can. We have a large (150+ acre) place and I am concerned about how much everyone says they love garden vegetables. Does this mean I shouldn't turn them out when the garden is making? Or will the damage be minimal since they have lots of good grass and trees to feed under? I keep several acres mowed with a lawnmower and a few more a bit higher with the tractor. I always plant a lot of forage for the deer/rabbits which now will be for the chickens also. Deer and Rabbits have not been a problem yet so I do not have my garden fenced.
    Opinions please.
    I live in North Louisiana if it makes a difference.

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi there RoyalHills,
    welcome to BYC !! I free range my chickens all day & I have a small garden. If you grow corn they will devor the plant before you know it. But keep in mind I have standards. I guess it depends on where you put your garden & where & how far they range. Hard to say what they'll do. My hubby made some wire cages for things like squash & bell pepper so while there're young they wouldn't get stepped on.After that they didn't bother the plants.
    Glad to see some more Louisiana folks here!!!
    Miriam

9. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    Sounds like good advice. I may just have to watch them close in April. I do plant corn (will be in the next week or so). My garden is right behind my chicken yard. I guess I'll learn which plants are the most susceptible to trampling or being pulled up. Once they start producing I was concerned too about squash, tomatoes, etc if they eat them off the plants.

10. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    In my chicken starting research, I ve come across kale as a favprite of chickens. I will be planting it in my garden when I can. And when My birds come in I will see. ErinM.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by