Growing fast and housing choices

SueNH

Songster
12 Years
Feb 24, 2007
I've got to figure out something they are growing too fast!

I've got 3 ducks that are nearly the size of a leghorn hen but still are mostly fluff. They make big ducky messes inside the chick cage. I also have 3 maran pullets that could go outside with no problems now. In the cage also are other mixed younger chicks of various standard breeds. Feathering out at different rates according to their breed. I need to thin things out!

My problem is the temps. I have no way to heat an outbuilding for them, it's the ducks I'm worried about the most. I'm just starting to see some pin feathers coming through their down.
Night time temps are in the mid 30's yet. Frost isn't out of the question for another week or so.

I have a small dog kennel I generally use that is lined with chick wire and I can put a line or two of electric fence around the outside for extra protection. It sits not far from the horse fence. It is also covered in wire on the top and tarped around top and 2 sides. Would the ducks be ok in this now or do I wait longer?

I do have one little building near the house I could throw a heat lamp in but it's occupied right now by a broody chicken and a broody turkey. I believe the turkey has failed. I was giving it the extra week in case I counted wrong but she's done with extra time as of tomorrow. I'm not sure when the chicken slipped in there. I could boot the turkey out but I'm not sure what to do about the hen. I could leave her and see how she reacts to the chicks. She is normally a mellow individual.
Or do I attempt to move her? Make a barricade maybe so the chicks don't get too close to her nest?

I was actually hoping to move this little building out with the other chicken coops and horse barn but I guess it isn't happening.
What should I do? Chick Pen or boot out the broodies. The building with the broodies does have a chain link dog kennel around it line to about 3 feet with chick wire. It is covered like the other but without the tarped sides.

I need to figure something out. I forgot how fast ducks grow.
They were supposed to be cayugas but I think they might be a cayuga/swedish cross. Not black enough and the guy I bought the eggs from did have both.

Maybe that was too long winded.

Can the ducks that have only just started feathering out take 35 degree temps?
The chickens I've been doing for ages and have down pat.

Should I wait a bit on the ducks?

I have today and tomorrow off and figured I could rearrange a bit if it was possible.

Back
Top Bottom