Growing feed for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 2, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    What kinds of greens can my mom grow for her chickens for winter? She plans on farming worms, but wants something she can grow like greens or something. If anyone has some advice that would be great! Thanks!

2. Al Gerhart

Al Gerhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Duckweed is a very high protein food that is easily grown.

3. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    This is just an idea but I have been thinking about putting a mini garden in my run for my chickens. I have personally thought about putting Asparagus, Beets, Lettuce, and maybe sewing a little wheat in there too

4. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    My hens love almost anything I grow in the garden. Easy to grow options are turnips (they love the greens), leaf lettuce, chard, mustard (again, my girls love the greens), and naturtiums. My hens eat all of those. But, really, any non toxic plant you want to grow for them they will eat! My hens love pumpkin and other squash plants (the leaves as well as the fruit) and anything in the cabbage family. Mangel beets are also great chicken forage.

5. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    You could try the no till food plot seed that the deer hunters use, it has winter rye, turnips and a variety of other winter type plants. Look for it in the deer hunting section of stores, but read the planting zones on the back of the package as there are several differnt types.

6. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Oats(Rye, Barley, Winter Wheat) all grow fast and well even in container type settings. Buckwheat as well.

Ours freerange exclusivley, and do manage to get to a few deer food plots, however some of the plants in the plots arent really palatable until a good heavy frost. I usually un-roll a round bale and let them have at it when there isnt any greens left. Depending on the weather, it lasts about a month before its collected and taken to the compost/manure pile.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I plant Mustard Greens, Collards, & kale.

8. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    You could try green pasture seeds if your looking to do an outdoor garden for them.Try www.johnnyseeds.com they are much more reasonable then buying a deer food plot mix. You could also try indoor sprouting of wheat seeds.(also available at Johnnys) There may be other seed suppliers, this is the only one I know of.

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    thank you soooooo much guys! you dont know how much this helps!! thanks!

(if you have more lists of things they can eat, please come forth with it!)

10. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    tomatoes, my chickens love eating them right of the vines, and they won't bother the plant itself, just the tomatoes
    an strawberries- plants are so easy to grow, just plant them and thats it

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by