Growing feed... questions...

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
We might finally have an area large enough to grow some of the feed for my livestock.

So the question is, what should I be growing?

Alfalfa, buckwheat, barley?

It will be mostly for the chickens and some for rabbits and eventually goats.

I want something easy where I can just plant a small plot, let it grow to a couple feet tall and then feed it to the animals, I don't really want to have to worry and wait for curing and all that stuff.

And lastly, but most importantly, it needs to be the healthiest most complete thing I can find.

I know I'll get some great answers... LOVE BYC!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Well, I find natritiums(sp?) are really good. They help prevent worms as well. Humans can eat them. They do well as groundcover. I can't think of anything else at the moment…

I'm really surprised there aren't more answers yet, I was expecting things along the lines of oats, quinoa, etc and why...

Although I don't know if those can be fed raw, I was curious.
smile.png

I've tried asking such great questions, too. Only a few contributors. Quite good though. Try the search feature; you will find some of what you are looking for including links to other sources. So don't limit yourself to chickens; broaden it to all poultry; include words like forages and grains, planting, etc. You will find some interesting options. Mostly vegies.

Are you planning to dry the grains for later use, or have the birds harvest the leaves and the heads themselves.?

Ideally I would like something I can just plant, let grow, then harvest in small batches and feed as is.
smile.png

Maybe later down the line I could do the whole harvesting/ curing/ drying thing, but not yet.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom