Growing Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rmonge00, Jun 10, 2011.

1. rmonge00

rmonge00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is anyone growing a large portion of their own feed? I would to find a way to become a bit more independent from the feed companies (plus save some money!) Beans, corn, what are you growing for them and how do you moderat their feed?

Thanks!!

Ryan

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    ours get the waste from the garden. they free range some of the time. we have planted sunflowers and millet just for our animals and will plant turnips and mangel beets later on. we still use commercial layer and medicated chick starter but this saves money.

3. rmonge00

rmonge00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice

How much are you growing and how do you store it?

4. 4sillychickens

4sillychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Western Washington
    I was wondering the same thing. We can't let the chickens free range where we live, so I give them lots of garden scraps. But I want to know what are good plants that I can grow and then store for the winter. I'm know dried corn and sunflowers are good. But what else?

5. TheBirdiesAreMyBabies777

TheBirdiesAreMyBabies777 New Egg

Jan 13, 2011
    Currently we are trying to grow wheat, millet, oats, barley, and rye in small strips so we can have extra feed for the winter and also material for fresh breads. [​IMG] (We have Chickens, Ducks, Guineas, & Geese.) We've also considered growing milo/sorghum because the guineas really seem to like it in their scratch grains. However, due to the fact that the sorghum seed is treated, we are having an interesting time trying to find the safest and best place to plant it. Storing the grain will also be an interesting task, but it'll be worth all the work. Plus it'll make the birds happy and save money! [​IMG]

6. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    This sounds awesome!!!! [​IMG] What would be something easy (low maintenance) to grow in my yard in Wisconsin? I do have some space because i have 3 acres but do not want to take up to big of an area.

Thanks
    Jake

7. 4sillychickens

Apr 21, 2011
    Western Washington
    Wheat is very low maintenance [​IMG] I planted some winter wheat last fall and haven't touched it since and it looks great. I don't really know how wheat grows in WI. What I did was look up what kind of wheat grows in the PacificNW and that's what I planted.

8. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I would look into comfrey. It's discussed here... and other places around the web. Very high in protein, so very good free range food.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  9. 4sillychickens

Apr 21, 2011
    Western Washington
    Quote:Very informative link! Thanks![​IMG]

10. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    You're welcome! We actually bought a few brown leghorns from a guy a few weeks ago, who also farms and sells comfrey. His birds free range on the stuff all day. Some will eat it right off the plant, but they prefer to have it ripped off for them, and then allowed to wilt. He gave us about 10 roots, which is how he sells it, which we have planted and is now growing around the house. Not really big enough yet to do anything with, but relatively soon we'll be using it to feed them. Supposedly very hardy and grows like crazy with little attention once started. Higher protein level than any other plant, I believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by