Growing fodder/sprouts

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by millersuchey, Jan 3, 2017.

1. millersuchey

millersuchey New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Alabama
    Considering growing some sprouts. Best kind to grow? Best/cheapest place to buy?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How big a flock? How much volume of sprouts would you grow in a week? For your flock and YOUR use, or simply for the flock's use?

cheapest: whole grain from the feed store. Be sure it's not heat treated (if you buy feed grain) and be sure it's not meant for planting b/c that's often treated with fungicide and possibly pesticide. I've seen a 50# bag priced any where from $26 to $13. My favorites are barley and wheat. You can always use what you don't sprout for scratch, or plant it to give the flock more fresh greens in the summer.

Other options: whole oats, lentils (you can even sprout the ones you buy at the grocery store. I love to use lentil sprouts in my stir fries or soups.) Warning: pearl barley WILL NOT SPROUT!!!

Deer fodder: Look for a product similar to this: http://www.deercreekseed.com/wildli...9Kvip3vIEUBKK9psycutn3qAubCPuzsjV4aAnQT8P8HAQ Be very sure that it has not been treated with any fungicide before buying it to sprout. It is pricey, but the bags with a nice mix of grains and brassicas are a great choice. I will not buy it unless I find it drastically marked down at end of the season.

BOSS, other bird seeds. If you buy a mix, be sure it is made up completely of WHOLE seeds. No sunflower chips or cracked corn.

http://morningchores.com/cheap-chicken-feed/

3. millersuchey

millersuchey New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Alabama
    Thank you for the info. My flock is small...only 8. I had chickens years ago but just getting back into it for my daughter's 4h project (she fell in love).

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I also had flocks back in the 70's - 80's. Just got back into it about 4 years ago, and loving the educational aspect of it.

5. millersuchey

millersuchey New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Alabama
    Day 1 on bottom...day 6 on top. I am using deer seed from local co-op. It is 80% wheat with clover and a few others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by