Growing food for your chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mayberry Chicken Shack, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Mayberry Chicken Shack

Mayberry Chicken Shack Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2010
    Mt. Airy, N.C.
    When you plant your garden do you plant anything spwcial for you chickens?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We had a huge veggie garden so we grew corn and lots spinach for the chickens. We took the corn off the cobs and fed it to them whole and they loved it. And I've yet to meet a chicken that doesn't like spinach!

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    This will be my first year with a garden - but I'm planning to also plant a plot of sunflowers and some extra corn for the chickens (plus all the weeds, damaged veggies, etc)

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    When we were in SA I used to walk down the road and pull out cow thistle for my chickens. There was plenty of these growing in the area where I lived and I discovered the chickens absolutely loved it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonchus

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. Sotabrew

Sotabrew Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    St Paul, MN
    Corn and sunflowers were both a huge hit for our girls.. however tomatoes and brussel sprouts were not so much. Any other recommendations for food they like or dislike?

6. pmcatnip

pmcatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Our chickens ate just about everything we grew this year. They got the strawberries, raspberries, cherry tomatoes (they seem to have left the romas alone), radishes, and even a good amount of potatoes which they dug up themselves. They didn't bother the zucchini or onions. They picked a little at the asparagus but that seems to be out of curiosity because they did very little damage to the asparagus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by