Growing Garden Treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Birdy_Buddy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Birdy_Buddy

Birdy_Buddy New Egg

Apr 21, 2010
    I am planning a garden and chickens at my new home for my peepers and I want to grow a few things that chickens like that are easy to grow and make a nice supplement for feed. In the past I always give squash and grass clippings . Comfrey was easy and made the yolks deep orange. What else is a good chicken treat for my birds. They may not get to free range much but they will have a 6'x10' run attached to a tractor coop.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Mine love rainbow chard, kale and collard greens. They are not crazy about the Swiss Chard with the white/silver stems though. Go figure.

3. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    i dont know where your located at, but it maybe to late for the garden this year. but we plant tomatoes cucumbers watermelon, cantalope, squash, peppers, green beans, pea pods.... all those are great for the chickens. also maybe grow some sunflowers, and when the head drie you can hang them the the chicken run wall and the chickens will jump and peck that the sunflower heads, they love them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:I don't know, I have two Araucana Bantys that are about three months old. I only got them a few days ago, so I have got their house set up completely. I have just started letting them free range (with supervision) in my .25 acre yard. Yesterday was the third day I let them out for a few hours. The first two days they stayed within five feet of their temporary house. Yesterday they went 1/4 across the yard and ended up on my porch in front of my arcadia door. They spent the whole time nibbling on a potted Chamomile plant, so apparently they like that.... [​IMG]

5. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    My gals like weeds, lettuce and other vegie garden leftovers, windfall apples (cut up), watermelon, grass clippings, leaves of all sorts. They like some flowers too.... There's not much they turn their beaks up to at this point. I'm "mom" to 3 RIR newly laying pullets and 2 range babies (9 wks) and a 12-15 wk old "monty blue" also a semi-domesticated bird a friend gave me. You can't go wrong with your treat garden unless you plant mmmmm- onions!

6. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Mine LOVE collards, kale & lettuce. All three are super easy to grow as well. Since I am in Southern CA I can grow them all year long which the girls love. For summer treats they like tomatoes, peaches, nectarines, strawberries and watermelon [​IMG] Good luck!

7. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I've recently discovered mine are eating the garlic chives! Ok, something else I need to move the front yard; we are planning an herb garden in the front anyway.

8. BarredRock971

BarredRock971 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Mine like lettuce, peas, apples, and stuff like that, but their absolute favorite is zucchini! [​IMG]

9. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Mine love broccoli leaves in the fall and winter. Summer is no problem, lots of goodies. I grow a winter garden and they like all kinds of greens, but so do I. [​IMG] Winter rye grass is a favorite too. In the heat of the summer try freezing their goodies, they will love it.

10. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Grow pumpkins and winter squash to keep over the winter. I shread and freeze for Jan, Feb Mar!

When your garden is done, let them in to clean it up for you. Before you plant next year, let them in to scratch and eat bugs and slugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by