growing grains in a paddock for the birds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by City Chicken, Feb 20, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    i move my chickens with a 100 ft electric poultry fence from place to place.
    i like that they get fresh grass this way. but, what i want is to be able to replace some of what i am purchasing in pellets, both for healthier chickens and financial sustainability.
    i am thinking about throwing out wheat, amaranth and barley out there and growing blue corn for them (blue corn is not GMO).
    i really want things that will just kinda grow on their own, the grains seems like a good solution and i want things that they can pick themselves vs we harvesting. i wont grow grains for my family because the harvesting is too time intensive.

is anyone doing this?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Millet is easy to grow and they will just trample the stalks and eat the grains themselves when you turn them into the field. The wild birds will eat it also!

You can try sunflowers also.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If you are wanting to let it mature, you will have to keep them out until it is ripe or near ripe, they will devastate the growing plants. They like the green plants too. Growing up we had pullets we let free range and the field near the brooder house was kinda thin come harvest time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by