growing greens for feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Centralflafred, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Centralflafred

Centralflafred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    Wondering what kind of green folks might grow just for feeding to your folks?

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I don't feed my parents greens, only steak and potatoes. [​IMG]

As far as my chickens, I grow a lot of vegies and give them everything I can. I grow alfalfa especially for my chicks.

3. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I've planted extra swiss chard plants exclusively for feeding to the chickens. Chard produces all summer and autumn long, until a true hard freeze kills them. It's somewhat similar in taste and texture to spinach, and both leaves and stems are edible. I just cut off the biggest outer leaves for my chickens. It's rarely bothered by pests, reliable even in the heat, and I eat some of it, too.

Other plants that you might supplement with: dandelions, purslane (both are edible weeds), kale, arugula, rape, turnip greens (all relatives of broccoli), parsley, borage, tomatoes (the fruit), beet, radish, and kohlrabi tops, and any lettuce or spinach that has gotten bitter.

4. Centralflafred

Centralflafred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    Thanks I'll give the Swiss Chard a try. Going in Fla. something that does well in the heat is a must.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by