growing greens in winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mschwen, Sep 23, 2015.

1. My girls get run around the yard inside a movable fencing and they really love to eat the grass and weeds. Since they are used to having the greens and I have only a small space to grow some in the winter for them, any ideas on how to grow enough for three birds fo the entire winter? Like maybe a way of using the homemade brood as a small inexpensive version of a green house? I really don't want them to be unhappy this winter. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Tati

Tati Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2015
    Utah
    Hmmh! That's a good question. I hadn't thought of it.

Chickens probably don't need greens in winter, but they would surely appreciate them. We have a little green house, which we discontinued using because it was too much work to keep it watered and taken care of.

When I was a kid, our chickens didn't get any greens in winter, other than vegetable scraps from the kitchen (outer leaves of lettuce, etc.). As an adult, we only had chickens twice. They only lasted for a few weeks before predators got them.

We got chickens again, last spring, and built them predator-proof enclosures (one for summer, one for winter).

Maybe I can talk my husband into growing some winter-greens for the chickens in the neglected greenhouse. He'll probably bulk at the problem to keep anything watered in freezing temperatures.

You could try growing something on the window sill. Other than that, buy lots of lettuce and share it with your chickens. (Make sure to wash it. You don't want to feed your chickens pesticides.)

3. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Winter rye grass maybe? Just make sure that it's safe for them to eat. I would think so.

4. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Nevermind just seen where it's not good for them on one thread

5. Tati

Tati Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2015
    Utah
    Where did you find this post? I'd be interested to read it.

6. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    I grow fodder for mine now, using barley and wheat, and plan on continuing this winter. You could definitely grow it in a brooder too. I just use mason jars to sprout in my windowsill at the moment, but plan on building something bigger down the road.

7. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    It was on here. I searched (chicken eating winter rye ). There's several posts on.it. hope this helps.

8. Hollis dollis

Hollis dollis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    upstate NY
    I've heard of fodder feeding with barley. I was thinking about giving it a try this winter. I was planning on making a shelving unit to put clear trays on, and just parking it in front of the window...

9. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

I grow winter rye, and winter peas.

Fodder system would be great for the old brooder. Grow lights, keep it from freezing, and a few trays for seeding in is all you need! Oats, barley, and wheat grow the best in fodder, IMO... You can also grow bean sprouts and other greens in the trays as well.

Some ideas for different sprouts and greens, aside from the norm of grains for ya :)
    http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-245-sprouts.aspx

1 person likes this.
  10. Thanks for the ideas so far. I will definitely be giving some a:D try. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by