Growing lump *lots clicky thumbnails*

JupiterFarmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Palm Beach County
There was this one pullet chick that had a small lump near the end of her beak once she started feathering. Today I just picked her up and noticed that it has gotten HUGE now.

We had a Cockatiel that had a lump like this a while ago that got boney feeling near the end of her years.

This girl's lump is fleshy feeling right now though. Should I do anything about this? Its not as red as the pictures make it look

Click to make larger

Last edited:
Hmmm, that does not look good.
I wonder if it is some sort of an infection or symptom of something.

Have you tried doing a search for this? I don't know what I would call it, but you could try.

When i had a baby umbrella cockatoo i was hand feeding, she developed the same type of thing on the top of her head.(red, raised bump that kept getting bigger...).so after many avain vet visits, we found out it was a yeast/fungal type infection of some sort... i'll try to find the pics of it....i think you need meds asap..but, they have to be the correct kind to work.. good luck, Wendy

Ah crap.... Vets around here like making you make at least 3 visits before they finally have your dog cured. At about 300 dollars a sick visit for a dog
barnie.gif

I think the avian vets who are far far away from here are worse charging and worse with care because of what they did with our eggbound Cockatiel... Never told us that we should put her down or gave us the option and my family was so choked up about her condiation we couldn't ask ourselves.
somad.gif
Poor bird was suffering a week

It isn't red like the pictures showed. It was her skin color before I pressed on it to get the gist of what it was.

Would VetRx help her? Or something else that I could get at the feed store?

she needs an antiboitic....try some of the ones at the feed stores..(they are not expensiive)... its not what i used, but it may work! ;o) also, this avian vet i went to wont see chickens...*snot*....i will try to call them tomorrow and get the name of the meds they put her on...maybe you can find something similiar at the feed store...but, those bumps look exactly like what my cockatoo had...

Antibiotics treat bacteria, not yeast or fungus, unless you can find something in the feed store labeled yeast/fungus treatment (I have no idea.)

Live yogurt will help curb yeast growth in people to some extent (thrush in the mouth caused by lots of antibiotics, for example.) Athlete's foot is a fungus. Have absolutely no idea whether the athlete's foot meds would even be safe for a chicken, never mind of any use.

But I do know that an antibiotic intended to treat bacterial infection isn't going to help a yeast or fungus infection. Actually, it should make it worse; when you kill off some normal bacteria, it allows yeast and fungus to grow better. That's why people get thrush, among other things.

Evidently VetRx is a herbal type remedy. Might help; have no idea.

Quote:
Hi, LOL..yeah, i know that antibiotics wont cure yeast infections...thats why we had to bring her back a few times and finally get a culture..because the antibiotics themselves did not work...sorry, i should have chosen my use of the word "antibiotic" more carefully...but, i had assumed they would know the differance..and know what i meant..

but anyways, i just called the vet for the records...he finally put her on this combo and it cleared it up right away...Tribissen and Nystatin (orally)...i tried to find a pic of her bump that she had..i couldnt find one..sorry...good luck with her!
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom