Growing mushrooms in your chicken run anyone?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2chicks poultry, Aug 3, 2013.

1. 2chicks poultry

2chicks poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    I heard about this from an article in chicken magazine but i haven't tried it yet. Has anyone done it before? If so post away![​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you mean growing mushrooms in the run for them or for you to eat? Never thought of doing either of those, I am usually trying to keep them growing where I don't want them around here. Are they seeding them like they do with those mushroom logs they sell?

3. 2chicks poultry

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    I mean growing them for you, I don't think that chickens like to eat mushrooms that's why it's easy to grow them in your pen, people also grow them in their chicken pens because it helps keep the amount of poop down.[​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Guess it is not that much different from putting the chicken litter on your garden and eating the vegetables. Don't see how you could grow mushrooms in a normal run without fencing them in though and have the chickens leave them alone, would think they would eat them or at least peck the heck out of them if they get bored. Could see it working in a garden or with chickens that free range. Think I will stay with the ones from the grocery store, at least I don't know where they have been.

5. 2chicks poultry

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    True,I just read about it in chickens magazine.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by