Growing my flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by denanner13, May 12, 2010.

1. denanner13

denanner13 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Griffin, GA
    Hey everybody! I just joined today & I'm very happy to be here. I have 6, 4 week old RIR's & I'm not sure of their sex yet (the only one I'm sure of is "Big Mama" & I've just figured out she's really "Uncle Sam"). We already want to add to our flock & I wondered if anyone knew how my reds would get along w/ some Wyandotte's. I'm only going to have 1 rooster (Sam) & may want to cross-breed eventually. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    They should be fine, just wait until they are both semi-mature to introduce them. 1 day olds and 4 week olds are too different in size.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you can section off the coop, or brood them somewhere separate where they can see each other. Then when they are about 14 weeks old, you can put them in with the main flock. (at night) There will be some chasing/pecking for a couple weeks while they sort out their new order. (and less eggs from the hens during this time) As long as it doesn't get bloody, let them work it out.

Since you have a RIR rooster, have you considered getting either Barred Rocks or Cuckoo Marans hens? (Dominique would work too) You could cross a barred hen with your RIR rooster and make your own black sex links. (just a thought)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by