Growing out extra cockerels for meat - feed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kim_NC, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I've got 6 heavy breed cockerels at 16 weeks old. Not Cornish X or other meat breeds, just 'leftover' cockerels from a hatch. They're all destined for the stew pot in 4 more weeks if they don't sell.

We raise meat birds/broilers every year and have a regiment for them. But these misc cockerels, I was thinking of trying to finish-out differently....an experiment of sorts.

I've thought of "fattening them up" on cracked corn the last couple weeks. Their regular feed is 18% grower, available free choice. They have a free range area as well.

My idea was the corn is cheaper, and should put more weight on them. I'd leave their free choice grower, but start tossing them cracked corn a couple times/day. How much corn would you feed? Or other suggestions?

2. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    cracked corn works really well, i even feed my laying hens a little corn to keep them active during the winter.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    If your wanting to add more meat to them the corn isn't going to do it. It's going to add a lyaer of fat and that's about it. The flavor will be great if that's what your looking for.

Bottom line is corn = carbs.... extra carbs = fat....

soybeans, fish meal, bone meal, meat by-products = Protein.... extra protein turns into muscle.

Your not going to get much muscle... but more than you would if you fed them corn.

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I believe I read in another thread that MissPrissy finishes all her meat birds on corn for the last week or two. I'm not sure she even continues with the regular feed at that point.

5. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

caponize? it works.

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Thanks for the replies. I may experiment with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by