Growing out red golden, and lady Amherst males

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by perchead, Sep 19, 2016.

1. perchead

perchead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015
    I'm wanting to grow out several pheasant so I can select breeders I want to keep at maturity. Can I keep a colony pen of all males, and one of all females separately without a lot of fighting

2. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Depending on how many birds per pen and how big your pen will be, yes,it can be done. I wouldn't try it with smaller than 50' x 50' pens. As long as the male pen and female pens aren't next to eachother, should be ok! but also realize that that's mearly a guideline. Your experince/results may differ.

3. perchead

perchead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015
    Great I'll give it a try.

4. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    Just make sure you can sort the amherst and golden hens apart when the time comes.

5. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As u can see I have a lot of birds I raise close to a thousand a year now and I keep them with other birds. And u shouldn't have to tag or color vote any golden you will no the difference especially if u get good stock I'm sure u can see the big differences in them. Just peep them young and u can fit close to forty in a 10x12 no problem and as u see there in good condition. Working meds in the bowl. Speaking about meds if u want me other then workers u should stock up now jan16th everything is being pulled off the shelf and u will have to have a vet after that.

6. samsom

samsom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2016
    Puerto Rico
    Birdman,
    When you said peep it young, how old are they?

7. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    Month. However their are different kinds of peepers the bendable one and the one with the pins. Get the one with the pins because the golden's beak/nostrils are to small for the bendable one. Even with the pin one I'm not sure I like it bc it does effect the beak. And some will be misshaped bc of it. If u have to peep them peep. Otherwise don't. That pen is the only pen I have that I use peepers once they move from their it take them off. It helps when u put different ages together

8. samsom

samsom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2016
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by