growing people fodder

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by whisperinghopef, Dec 2, 2013.

1. whisperinghopef

whisperinghopef Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    I have really enjoyed growing fodder (wheat, barley, and rye) for my animals. I learned most everything here on this forum. My question is what people veggies can I grow? I would like to grow lettuce and tomatoes but someone told me it is hard to grow tomatoes.
    [​IMG]
    This is my setup for the animal fodder. It is under my house in the 4 1/2 ft high area. Works great (except I have to bend over) because the temp always stays the same. I use several light bulbs because there is no sun. I put the seeds on shelving, water once a day, water falls down into the recycled bunny pans and then I dump it. Works out well.

With a setup like mine that I could just add some more shelving, what people food could I grow?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You could easily grow sprouts for salads. I wouldn't grow as many as you have in one of your fodder trays! If you have a health food store near you, you might try buying either sprouting seeds which are ridiculously high priced compared to the same organic seeds which are sold just as whole seeds, ($8/# for sprouting lentils compared to approx. $1.50/# for organic lentils.) Lentils are great. You can also do mung beans, wheat, any whole grain. I also like to grow alfalfa sprouts, and there are some nice mixes that have broccoli, radish, and onion mixed in with them. Sprouting can be done as simply as using a canning jar with a layer of cheese cloth held over the top with an elastic. That's what I'm doing for myself and for the chickens. Super simple, they are right beside my kitchen sink so I don't forget to rinse them. The girls are currently getting BOSS, lentils, wheat and barley.

3. whisperinghopef

May 13, 2012
    Is there a kind of lettuce to do? So you think I could grow broccoli in my system? That would be cool. I wish I could do cherry tomatoes and lettuce.

4. Plough

Plough Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    San Jose, Ca
    I think you could grow lettuce just fine. Tomatoes and broccoli grow about 2-3 feet, and while I think you could probably get away with tomato (In a 3 gal tub with small trellis), I would think broccoli would need too much space.

5. whisperinghopef

May 13, 2012
    So do you think that the other kind of lettuce (not head lettuce) would sprout and grow like the seeds do?

6. Plough

Plough Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    San Jose, Ca
    Most lettuce likes full sun and do well in cool environments. Permitting the lighting you have is sufficient, I don't see why they be fine. At worst it would be worth buying a seed pack to try.

7. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Try growing the tomato's upside down in bags or buckets. I did this last year with huge success. look up "upside-down tomato's" on you tube. works great and takes little space.

8. Earl-Ray

Earl-Ray Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    baby cabbage leaves taste like they got injected with butter. you dont get very much tho.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    DO NOT TRY TO USE PACKETS OF SEEDS FOR SPROUTS. MANY OF THEM HAVE BEEN TREATED WITH A FUNGICIDE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WOULD I TRUST SEEDS SOLD FOR GARDENING TO USE THEM FOR SPROUTING. I MIGHT USE LETTUCE OR BROCCOLI SEEDS THAT I HAVE SAVED FROM MY OWN GARDEN, BUT NOT SEEDS PURCHASED FROM A SEED COMPANY UNLESS THEY ARE LABELED AS SAFE FOR SPROUTING. SEEDS MEANT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION ARE ACCEPTABLE.

Also, some beans are toxic unless cooked. This includes kidney beans. Do your research before sprouting any variety of seed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  10. whisperinghopef

May 13, 2012
    Didn't realize that. Where would I find seeds then?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by