1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Growing so fast!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by burgandyrae, Apr 18, 2016.

1. burgandyrae

burgandyrae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    Cynthiana, KY
    Hi! I have two Pekin Ducks outside currently, male and female, and I have 6 chicks inside, 4 ISA Brown pullets and 2 "assorted" bantams and I have had them for 2 weeks. I planned to keep them inside until they were fully feathered but they are starting to learn how to jump to the top of the brooder so I was wondering when is the soonest I can put them outside and should I close them up in the coop or would they be fine with the adult sucks? It's definitely warm enough during the day but at night it's still getting in the 50s. I only have one heat lamp so I wouldn't be able to make sure it's the right temp in the coop until I moved them out there. Or if there are any suggestions for chicks sitting on the top of the brooder they would be appreciated!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I would not suggest putting them outside until they are fully feathered, and then search for "keeping ducks and chickens in the same coop" for further info.

All the best
    CT

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Without a reliable source of heat outside, you'll need to keep them indoors. Try putting some type of cover over the brooder like a piece of hardware cloth that will allow for ventilation.

Good luck!

4. burgandyrae

burgandyrae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    Cynthiana, KY
    Ok. When the chicks are ready to go outside what is the best way to introduce them to the ducks?

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Best way to keep them inside the brooder is to make a wire top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by