Growing too fast

Waters-flock

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Central Texas Hill Country
I am a new chick mama and my girls aren’t even three weeks old. I bought a puppy play pen to act as a brooder because, stupid me, I was sure this would work easily for five or six weeks. After all, I only have 8 (now 7 😥) chicks. Well, I went out of town for 3 days and my son took care of them. When I got home, I swear they had doubled in size. Their coop is built but I’m worried they are too little to climb up to the roost. The coop has a small run under the roosting area with a ladder. I figured to let them live in it for a couple of days before I open it up to the larger run.
The weather here is pretty warm but the coop is under a tree (fairly well protected). Last night, we had a major lightening storm with heavy rain for an hour or two. I’m worried they aren’t ready to adapt to the weather.
I added a pic of the coop and a couple of the girls. The feathers are coming in pretty fast, at least that’s what I think. Should I 1) get a larger brooder, or 2) put them in the coop in another week (at 4 weeks old) or ? Thanks!

Attachments

• 9DE21918-FC09-47A5-9A47-74766878DE47.jpeg
    9DE21918-FC09-47A5-9A47-74766878DE47.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • 287C361C-3008-4085-B8E8-9B02EEA50873.jpeg
    287C361C-3008-4085-B8E8-9B02EEA50873.jpeg
    638.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 99E14872-92B5-4A01-AB31-1E7458D1AAFA.jpeg
    99E14872-92B5-4A01-AB31-1E7458D1AAFA.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 20
They do grow at a remarkable speed.

If they're well-feathered and off heat and/or the night lows aren't dropping below their brooding temperature you can put them out.

You might have to help them up and down until they get the idea, but I wouldn't lock them into a coop in the kind of heat your part of the country gets.

This is my outdoor brooder: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

I think your brooder is fine.

My polish chicks are 3 weeks as well. I have been putting them out in a temporary dog kennel inside the run. I then take them back to the brooder at night. One reason is because I have older hens and they can't fully integrate yet. The other reason is because its familiar to them. I only have 2, but if I had more and my night temps were consistent, I would put them in an outdoor brooder set up with a wool hen (strips of wool hanging in a confined area) where they can warm up if needed. Or, if I had electricity out there, I would have set up a mama heating pad.
My original intent was to do the 1st set up with a wool hen, but it turned out I only got 2 chicks out of the 8 that I planned.
Also, my brooder temp hasn't been the 90° that is recommended- directly under the lamp, it's more like 80°. Even with just 2 they were content from the first day. My problem is that I've got them brooding in a plastic tub and they are outgrowing it in height.

Your chicks aren't fully feathered, but if you start acclimating them now, it will be smooth transition later.

I think your brooder is fine.

My polish chicks are 3 weeks as well. I have been putting them out in a temporary dog kennel inside the run. I then take them back to the brooder at night. One reason is because I have older hens and they can't fully integrate yet. The other reason is because its familiar to them. I only have 2, but if I had more and my night temps were consistent, I would put them in an outdoor brooder set up with a wool hen (strips of wool hanging in a confined area) where they can warm up if needed. Or, if I had electricity out there, I would have set up a mama heating pad.
My original intent was to do the 1st set up with a wool hen, but it turned out I only got 2 chicks out of the 8 that I planned.
Also, my brooder temp hasn't been the 90° that is recommended- directly under the lamp, it's more like 80°. Even with just 2 they were content from the first day. My problem is that I've got them brooding in a plastic tub and they are outgrowing it in height.

Your chicks aren't fully feathered, but if you start acclimating them now, it will be smooth transition later.
X2
I have never had a chick that wanted to be in 90degree heat past day 1. Ever.

Here's what my 2 chicks are doing at the moment. It's a bit cooler than it has been - high 60's when it's been in the 90's already - and they aren't complaining at all.

Attachments

• 20210622_121319.jpg
    20210622_121319.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20210622_121340.jpg
    20210622_121340.jpg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 17
Ps. the waterer off to the left outside of the kennel is just extra and I have ducks .... duck water stays clean for maybe 2 seconds. 😁

Thanks for the great ideas. I’m off to get a dog crate to put in the shady part of the outside run. I can put them outside for a few hours tomorrow and see how they like having more room. I don’t have electricity by the coops but will set up an area for them to play and see how it goes. I realize now that transitioning them to the coop doesn’t have to be a one day event.

I was wondering about the water bowl to the left. Thanks for the explanation - ducks explain lots.
The chicks don't have access to the dirty water ... yet. But, all my birds drink dirty water over fresh. 😁 I always have fresh water available and I have repeatedly observed the chickens and ducks drinking from dirty water when there is fresh within inches. As far as the dirt - ducks get a mouthful and then swish it in the water. Those dog bowls are supplemental for when temps are high. Silly birds.

Back
Top Bottom