growing too fast!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by krusty, Apr 15, 2009.

1. krusty

krusty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Gang,

My White Rock X are 2 weeks old and are already 1.18#. Some obviously smaller but I just went by reference from this thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=139611

Right now they get access to feed 24x7 and I am reading some threads state that I should cut back to 12 hours fo feed only but need to find out at what week I should make the transition?

I dont mind them ready for butchering at 7 - 8 weeks. or maybe wait for the full 8 - 9 weeks when I can take them in for processing. Smaller would become broilers and the larger ones I can cut up myself for BBQ pieces [​IMG]

K,

2. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I cut ours back after 1 week to 12hrs with food, 12hrs without and all the water they want. During the warm part of the seasons, they'll be in the tractor after 1 week, so they'll have bugs/grass and what not to eat.

3. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Yes you are at the week to start holding food back for 12 hrs.

What we do is just take the food away at night fall and return it to them in the morning. It does not need to be exact, just need to hold feed from them.

The more you keep them confined the faster they will grow and put on weight.

If you want a bird in 42 days then you need to keep them in tight quarters so they don't burn off any weight by running and what not.

4. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what happens when you all you do is eat, sleep, and.....( [​IMG] ).

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I bought a straight run of 15 on May 6th and they haven't done without food one second since. Didn't know they neede to be help back. I as going to ask when to change from starter to grower feed.

6. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    I bought a straight run of 15 on May 6th and they haven't done without food one second since. Didn't know they neede to be help back. I as going to ask when to change from starter to grower feed.

You must mean April 6th ???

Anyways you can feed 24/7 on a low protein feed, with okay results but you will always be running the risk of flop or leg problems. Nothing worse then almost done chickens that starting flopping or can't get up or move and have to be destroyed.

2 weeks on a starter and then switch to a grower/finisher.

We always just started on a grower feed and never messed with the starter or finisher feeds.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by