Growing too fast

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LazyGirl, Jul 9, 2008.

1. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    I am doing my first batch of broilers, and I got Cornish Crosses from McMurrray. They are 5 weeks old, in an outdoor moveable pen and eating grain. I have 3 already that are having trouble walking do to their size. Any advice?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They are known for leg problems and heart attacks. You could try and restrict their feed so they wont grow as fast and/or just watch those ones closely. Mine are only around for 8 weeks because after 8 weeks I start loosing some to leg and heart problems.

Have you planned your date to cull yours?

3. LazyGirl

Dec 29, 2007
    Thanks. I am planning on culling right at 8 weeks, too. Some of them are soo big already, it's almost like they should be butchered soon, but since I am not doing my own (I know, I am chicken! No pun intended) I don't know if I can. The majority of this batch seem healthly and the right size. Can I do any Chicken Physical Therapy? [​IMG]

4. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Last year when I had them I had to carry a couple of them to and from the food and water because their legs wouldnt work well.

5. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    We had one that had some leg problems in our last batch. We pulled it out of the tractor as it wasn't getting feed/water and the other birds were trampling it. We put it in the brooder and helped it back to health. It was walking just in time for processing. [​IMG]

6. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Thats funny mine was walking just in time to be processed as well.

7. LazyGirl

Dec 29, 2007
    OK. I'll give them some TLC. I want these 3 to make it, since they are going to bring the highest $$.

8. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Good luck. [​IMG]

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:What % of protein is in your feed? Sounds like it may need to be higher. Will

10. LazyGirl

Dec 29, 2007
    I started them with 20%, but now for the past week have some that is only 18% Is this too low? I have fish meal i could add.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by