growing up a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I was blessed this summer with a lady that gave me fertilized eggs to put under a pair of broody hens. At about the same time, I was gifted a rooster. Yesterday, I got home and had lost my rooster, a big old fellow. Not a sign, but all the hens were there. He must of taken it for the flock, which surprises me, because I have never thought too much of him as a rooster, and he never really showed any of the traits often expressed here of good roosters.

He was my first rooster, and I found I kind of like having a rooster, so while I was planning to butcher all the roosters that hatched, I am still uncertain who is a rooster at this point, but I assume I did get a few. I have decided to keep one.

My question is, can I just leave the one I pick with the hens and let him grow up with them, and then one day he will step forward and be the rooster? Or do I have to have a separate pen until he is mature.

MrsK

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Young cockerels (roosters) will grow up quite fine with the flock of hens, it might be actually easier for him to grow up with his future girls to clarify status as he matures. He'll still be a normal rooster, and do all the rooster business as he matures. IMO he'll be better suited to his "birth flock".

3. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    I agree. It's much better to leave him in with the hens and let him develop with them. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That they said.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I would never consider seperating my roos. They belong with the hens, as part of the flock. Yes, they drive the pullets crazy with their early mating attempts, but the pullets quickly learn how to deal with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by