Growing Up Silkies

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LadyVictorian, Jan 13, 2017.

1. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I figured I would give it a week before I made a thread for my growing silkie babies just to be safe but now that we are steamrolling into week two time to give them some major spotlight.

I got 4 beautiful silkies from VJP Poultry here in MN, 2 buffs, a splash, and one white. The splash is Sora (Sky), the white Yuki (Snow), the dark buff is Aiok (Loved child), and the lighter buff is Hikaru (light). So here is a little thread following my first chicks since losing my redstar hen Tiki. Looking forward to seeing them get more feathers and figure out their genders in time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Good luck with the silkies! They are adorable!

3. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Aww, they're so cute! & I love the names!

4. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I wanted names that worked with either gender. I feel all of them could be either or though I do have some hopes Yuki is a hen and sora a roo.

5. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Yeah, gender-neutral names are a good idea for silkies. Mine are Sugar & Spice and even with those, people always think Sugar's a girl. [​IMG] I also like the meanings. What language is that, Japanese? They sure are cute little peepers!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Yup, I picked Japanese. I use to give my betta fish Thai names since they hailed from Thailand. I know Silkie's are more Chinese but I like the Japanese language a little more. If I get another batch I might go Chinese. I have a few cute Chinese I saved for my goldfish and Koi.

7. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Almost 4 week update:

Yuki

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hikaru

[​IMG]

Camera Whore Sora xD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Gang with Hikaru, Yuki, and Aiko

[​IMG]

No solo pics of Aiko, they are a very camera shy chick.

1 person likes this.
  8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They're so cute, I just love silkies! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing.

9. Kionra

Kionra New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    Oh my gosh, I love it! Thanks, you gave me even more to look forward to. We just got a few silkies and a sizzle for our specialty flock (with some other unique ones thrown in), and I'm already in love with my silkie! This make it all the better!

10. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I am taking more pics for tomorrow now that they are rounding 5 weeks old and have more feather fluffs. They are also much bigger and moved out of the brooder and into a little pen in my room.They grew so quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by