Growing Up Silkies

LadyVictorian

Songster
Dec 22, 2016
Minnesota
I figured I would give it a week before I made a thread for my growing silkie babies just to be safe but now that we are steamrolling into week two time to give them some major spotlight.

I got 4 beautiful silkies from VJP Poultry here in MN, 2 buffs, a splash, and one white. The splash is Sora (Sky), the white Yuki (Snow), the dark buff is Aiok (Loved child), and the lighter buff is Hikaru (light). So here is a little thread following my first chicks since losing my redstar hen Tiki. Looking forward to seeing them get more feathers and figure out their genders in time.

I wanted names that worked with either gender. I feel all of them could be either or though I do have some hopes Yuki is a hen and sora a roo.

Yeah, gender-neutral names are a good idea for silkies. Mine are Sugar & Spice and even with those, people always think Sugar's a girl.
roll.png
I also like the meanings. What language is that, Japanese? They sure are cute little peepers!

Last edited:
Yup, I picked Japanese. I use to give my betta fish Thai names since they hailed from Thailand. I know Silkie's are more Chinese but I like the Japanese language a little more. If I get another batch I might go Chinese. I have a few cute Chinese I saved for my goldfish and Koi.

Oh my gosh, I love it! Thanks, you gave me even more to look forward to. We just got a few silkies and a sizzle for our specialty flock (with some other unique ones thrown in), and I'm already in love with my silkie! This make it all the better!

I am taking more pics for tomorrow now that they are rounding 5 weeks old and have more feather fluffs. They are also much bigger and moved out of the brooder and into a little pen in my room.They grew so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom