Growing up so fast... Already got their first worms at 3-5weeks!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by amartinlb, Apr 6, 2009.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Yesterday was a particularly nice day outside, peaked at 70F in my town so I decided to take the 3-5week old larger chicks outside for a few hours. At first we just had the two largest Ameraucanas outside, but the one got spooked and refused to be caught leading my son chasing her around the yard until it hid on the other side of a large tree making my son run around it...! [​IMG]

But when we brought outside our old toddler enclosure (same thing as those puppy enclosures essentially, about 2ft high) we brought out 6 more of the largest chicks....5 Ameraucana, 1 mystery, and 2 RIRs.

Well they immediately began looking for edibles on the new turf--grass--picking at dead leaves and carrying them around like treasure. But what REALLY caught my eye was they found two worms...already! The first earthworm was only 3" long and it took them a while to figure out how to eat it, but later my son noticed a 7" earthworm escaping from the enclosure where all the chicks where and he threw it back in and they went nuts over it running around and tripping over the worm fighting over it!!! Eventually one of them got it half way done their throat but kept regurgitating it so my son took the worm and cut it into smaller 1" pieces with a disposable knife and paper plate. VERY quickly they associated the white plastic knife with the worms and anxiously looked at it every time I put it in their eyesight...

It's just so exciting that they are growing up so fast and already got their first worms that quick... I'm proud of them haha! [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Anna

2. amartinlb

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Took them outside again yesterday, this time some of the little Marans, one of the buff orpingtons and the delaware...

And once again, they went nuts over earthwarms! I also remember seeing LOTS of termite larvae near an old tree stump in my garden and gave them a shovel fun of dirt loaded with the squirming larvae which they loved, and my son found a bunch of small millipedes, what appears to be dragon fly larvae or some other grub underneath a bunch of slates, and a load of baby spiders... They for sure loved all of it...!

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    What good little foragers they're going to be! Ours took longer than last year that to figure out worms=tasty.

This year's chickies are going on an "excursion" out of their small pen for the first time tomorrow.

4. amartinlb

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    They're very industrious...!

My son found a picture of what appears to be the same grub he kept finding around the yard and that the chicks also ate:
    [​IMG]

We're considering setting up a mealworm or earthworm culture in our basement soon for them now... They seem to love them for sure. One of our chicks which I (and some members here) think is an Ameraucana cockerel had a field day slurping up some of the really large ones that none of the other ones would touch...!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:that grub is none other than a japanese beetle grub [​IMG] Great for fishing AND pigs love to root them up too [​IMG] Watch they do have really powerful jaws! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by