Growing Up

Lipkis

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Kennesaw, GA
Our little five week old chicks are acting so grown up!

My mom and I have a couple of questions about our babies--since this is our first time with chickens. We've never had chickens before and have a couple of questions. I hope someone will be able to answer them.

When will be able to start them with dust baths? And what exactly do we use for dust baths? We're still deciding on a pen when should we start to move them outside? When will they trade their cute little peep for a "pukpuk" noise? When will all their feathers come in? When can we give them greens? Is it alright that we gave them some grass, they're around five weeks now--I heard it was alright, when do we stop feeding them the "baby grit"?

Will they ever stop being so cute? :3

1)The babies will start dust bathing when they feel like it. They usually start with the shavings in the brooder. When they go outside, they will find some nice dirt or sand and have a blast.

2) You can move them outside when they are fully feathered (around 6 weeks) and the weather is warm enough that they will not be subject to cold drafts, etc. If sooner, they still need a heat lamp. At five weeks they are getting pretty big, and you need to get a coop ready for them soon !

3) I don't remember when mine went from cheep cheep to puk puk, but I usually hear the start of a crow around 6 weeks.

4) It is ok to give them treats. Greens are great. Just don't overdo it. Their chick starter has grit in it as a complete feed. If you are feeding anything in addition to the starter (like treats), they need the extra grit.

5) Nope, they never outgrow their cuteness. A bunch of my girls are over 4 years old, and I still love to watch them and talk to them. It is amazing they all have different personalities. You should already see the differences in your chicks.

ENJOY !

Thank you so much! You're right they're all so different. China's like the annoying little sister, Queenie--true to her name is Queen of the "roost", and Truffle's is the sweetest.

But thank you so uch for answering our questions. We're learning as much about them as they are of us and have our schedule down by now.
lol.png

THank you so much.

Lipkis, enjoy your chickens! Mine are a few weeks older than yours, and so far they haven't stopped being cute yet! I have noticed the last few days that they're starting to make some more chickenly sounding noises, but not quite the pukpuk of grown chickens. At night when they're bedding down, they still peep real quietly to each other. It sounds like they're just letting each other know it's OK, they're all there. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom